Life Membership Policy
This policy sets out the minimum criteria to be eligible for nomination for an award of life membership of the Monash University Squash Club (hereby called “the Club”)
This award exists to recognise the valuable contribution of individuals to the current and future existence of the Club.
DEFINITIONS AND EXCLUSIONS
The following definitions are to be applied to Life Membership criteria:
- On court’ as either a social &/or pennant player
- ‘Off court’ in roles such as a Committee Member by election at an Annual General Meeting (eg President, Treasurer, Secretary, Pennant Chairperson)
Life Membership is the highest Award available to recognise the exceptional contribution of individuals to the Monash University Squash Club. It is therefore only to be awarded in exceptional circumstances.
In considering the award of Life Membership an individual should have demonstrated significant, sustained and high quality service enhancing the reputation and future of the Club.
Issues to be taken into account when considering any nomination should include:
- The general attitude and overall demeanour of the nominee to ensure that the attitude is one that reflects a dedication to the values of the Club;
- Commitment to the principals of good sportsmanship; and
- Valued leadership and good role modelling that reflects credit upon the Club.
These points apply in whatever role the nominee has participated in during their service in the Club.
Length of Service
The length of service to the Club should be at least 30 years in either or both an on-court role or off court role with such service in either role being taken concurrently.
Process for Assessing Applications for Life Membership
Applications for Life Membership should be forwarded to the Club Committee by July 1 in each year. Applications should demonstrate attainment of minimum service requirements and other details of exemplary service.
The Club Committee will assess all nominations for Life Membership. Achieving minimum service levels does not automatically guarantee the award of Life Membership. A majority vote of Club Committee at next Committee meeting is required before Life Membership will be awarded.
Retraction of a Life Membership may occur where the recipient has conducted himself/herself in a manner that reflects directly and adversely on the image or activities of the Club. This provision will only be exercised in exceptional circumstances and will require the full support of the Club Committee. As part of the deliberations, the Life Member in question is also to be given the opportunity to present their case for retention of their Life Membership status.
Benefits of Life Membership
In addition to the status of membership of a select group within the Club, Life Membership will be recognised by:
- Award of the Life Membership at the Annual General Meeting
- Exemption from club fees associated with the Monash University Squash Club
- Listing on the Club Honour Board
This Policy will be effective from January 1, 2012. Awards will only be made to individuals who have achieved these awards subsequent to that date. Retrospective allocation of these Awards to individuals no longer involved with the Club will not be made.