Monash University Esports aims to provide a number of platforms and levels to cater for all Esport lovers. From social gamers to elite and competitive player development, we offer online leagues, weekly gaming/training sessions and other tournaments through a number of different avenues.
Monash Electronic Gaming Association (MEGA)
Monash Electronic Gaming Association (MEGA) is an Esports club and gaming community based at Monash University. Its aim is to enhance your university experience by providing a platform for students and staff to share their common passion for Esports and gaming in an engaging, positive and friendly community.
MEGA encourages students of all skill levels to join and participate in games such as League of Legends, Rainbow 6 Siege and Overwatch.
Learn more about MEGA and join here: https://www.mega.org.au/#
Join Monash University's varsity E-Sports team to represent the University at a myriad of competitions. There's the Nationals League of Legends tournament taking place on various dates from April through to May, if League of Legends is your game of choice, or if you just want to give E-Sports a go and represent Monash, then our varsity team is for you! Join or renew your membership here: https://connectedcommunities.monash.edu/Clubs/VESports
Oceanic Challenger Series
Competing at one of the highest E-Sports levels in the country, Monash's Oceanic Challenger Series (OCS) team will represent the University under the ORDER flag in League of Legends. The 2020 OCS team is already confirmed and the competition is on the horizon, but if you think you have what it takes to partner with ORDER for the 2021 OCS, then join our varsity group above and start training!
ORDER and Monash University:
Founded in late 2017, ORDER is a leading Australian esports team. It is the most exciting, stable and successful esports brand:
Globally recognisable and nationally dominant
High performance and professional core
A destination team - the first team people think of
ORDER’s aim is to create a mainstream and meaningful brand that helps shape the future of the gaming culture globally.
ORDER were very happy to announce a partnership with Monash University for the 2019 Oceanic Challenger Series (OCS) and this parnership will continue through 2020.
Find out more about our partnership with ORDER here: https://order.army/order-x-monash/
The ORDER Academy OCS team is 100% comprised of Monash students as they compete in the upcoming 2020 OCS under the ORDER flag.
The Monash Univerity ORDER OCS team is:
- Made up of Monash students
- Coached by Monash students
- Mentored by ORDER staff and players
- Training and practice against ORDER players
Monash Esports Room
We’ve put our heads together and in consultation with our members and committees have come up with a set of key improvements to the Monash Esports room project. Monash isn’t the first university to get an Esports room, but it can be the university to do it best.
Here are the key requirements of a Competitive Room:
Ultimately, creating a recreational area with these features will improve the standing of this project to be a national leader in terms of gaming & esports spaces.
- At least 6 high end PCs each
- Pre loaded with a number of recognised competitive games.
- Regular PC health checks and upgrades, as well as all popular esports titles installed
- Whiteboard for coaches to use in strategising
- TV for coach/team use. Ultimately these features should allow for many of the popular Esports titles to be played competitively in the rooms. Events & Console Area - Convert the remainder of Baselab into a video game events, recreation and console area.
- 2 Couches & TV Areas, with consoles.
- Allows for console Esports to be played within the space.
- Smash Ultimate is set to be one of the larger Esports and will undoubtedly be on console.
- Tables & Chairs - Creates a community space
- Allows for Esports & other video game events to be held in the area
- Provides flexibility for use to the space.
- Viewing area with large screen
- Allows for Esports viewing events
- Will assist in building tighter bonds between the members of the Monash University gaming community, creating both a pipeline to the official Esports teams as well as a fanbase & a following for the teams.
- Booths for plug in & play ○ Allows for BYOD and more flexible events
- Provides for niche subcommunities to form within Monash University and allows for the university to tap into those niche subcommunities for future Esports/Gaming teams and other ventures.
It will also provide a natural place for a community to form, which will act as a pipeline for drawing in top quality players where we can access them, and get them interested in trying out for official Monash teams, guaranteeing a continuous flow of players into official university teams.
Research & Industry Engagement:
Brainpark is a thought leader on brain and mental health, particularly in relation to youth, young adults and healthy screen time.
Monash has become the test case on how actively balancing screen time, physical and mental exercise can lead to improved health outcomes.
Application of research into Esports programs from grassroots to elite will cover:
More information about Brainpark can be found here: https://www.monash.edu/researchinfrastructure/mbi/facilities/brainpark
- Lifestyle balance
MAX (Monash Arcade Expo)
In its fourth year, the Monash Arcade Expo - Australia's biggest university gaming event - was taken online in 2020. Across four massive days, there was a great program, jam-packed with live-streamed gaming, including the League of Legends University Championship, an Overwatch Fun Mode Tournament, Minecraft Free Play, Tekken Tournament and more!
MAX was hosted in partnership with Monash Electronic Gaming Association (MEGA) and Campus Experience and Major Events. To watch, click the banner at the top or visit twitch.tv/monasharcadeexpo
Please contact us via the email address below if you have any further questions: